birding-aus

Red-crowned (type) Parakeets

To: "" <>
Subject: Red-crowned (type) Parakeets
From: Ashwin Rudder <>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 12:01:00 +1100
Hi all,

I was going through the new IOC/BARC list and noticed that the (extinct)
Lord Howe Parakeet and Macquarie Parakeet have been lumped into Red-crowned
Parakeet, yet the extant Norfolk Parakeet remains a separate species. I
haven't checked the world list for the status of the other parakeets on the
NZ islands, but was wondering if anyone could link me an article or
otherwise explain how it is that Norfolk is a whole species, yet the Lord
Howe bird some 1000km from Norfolk is different, but the same as the
Macquarie bird, some 4000km away.

Thanks,
Ashwin
<HR>