birding-aus

White rumped sandpiper update

To: Rohan Clarke <>, "" <>
Subject: White rumped sandpiper update
From: Thomas Wilson <>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 08:50:29 +1100
Hi all
a trip to Culburra/Lake Wollumboola on 31 January was successful in finding the
WRSP exactly as per Rohan's excellent instructions below (Thanks Rohan) and it
was still there hunkered down in a divot in the sand at 12:45.  However, please
note that the fencing to protect the Little Tern colony has now been removed so
don't go ploughing off down the beach looking for the fences!  The bird was
seen by me and other the open "saddle" of sand/shell grit that connects a
smallish isolated dune from the northern end of the long stretch of vegetated
dunes that curves southwards along the bay to Currarong (visible in the
distance).  I assume that's where the fences were.  There is a "1080 Fox Bait"
warning sign posted in the dunes heading south - if you reach that you have
gone way too far.
Cheers
Tom Wilson

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:12:39 +1100
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] White rumped sandpiper update
>
> Hi Bernie,
> The directions remain unchanged from those posted on birding-aus about
> two and half weeks ago. The bird continues to be seen on the same short
> stretch of shoreline at Lake Wollumboula or roosting within the
> fenced-off Little Tern colony.
>
> To access the site drive to the township of Culburra Beach (via Nowra),
> NSW. The main road into town is called the 'The Lake Circuit'. About
> halfway through town, to stay on this named road, you need to turn right
> (sounds odd but on checking a map it will make sense). Drive to the end
> of the 'The Lake Circuit' rd and there is a small carpark, picnic area
> and playground. Take the steps down to the lake (not the path that leads
> more directly to the beach), then walk south along the edge of the lake
> at the back of the beach. From the carpark it's about 450 m to the point
> were the bird has mostly been feeding - pretty much in line with the
> fenced off Little Tern colony. If it isn't there check amongst the
> roosting stint in the fenced-off Little Tern area.
>
> Cheers,
> Rohan
>

> Hi All
> I am planning on flying up this weekend to search for the White rumped
> SP. I know the general location but would be very appreciative if
> someone can give me precise directions! I have always been overwhelmed
> by the great response to my requests so I will thank you in advance!
>
> Kind regards
> Bernie OKeefe
>

> --
> Rohan Clarke