birding-aus

Has anyone seen the Dowitcher this weekend?

To: <>
Subject: Has anyone seen the Dowitcher this weekend?
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:51:24 +1100
Managed to spend about an hour and a half today at Lake Tutchewop with no luck
this afternoon. Saw three male ostrich at Lashbrook road on the way and the
other two nsw threatened species seen were spotted harrier (one near the
Balldale turn off near Corowa, and one just after Thule Creek) and a flock of
White-fronted chats South of Deniliquin.
Pulled in first quickly at lake Kelly with hundreds of banded stilt on the far
eastern shore, and when I approached the western shore there were quite a few
waders present including a single curlew sandpiper - with more time it might
have ben worth a walk along this shore as despite the wind blowing to this side
of the lake thee were many birds there.
Then traveled to the inlet channel at lake Tutchewop where there were a number
of birds present (mainly grey teal, Australian shelduck, Silver gull and
Pelicans). At least two sharp-tailed sandpipers were present amongst the
vegetation on the inlet channel, and another ten or so were present out amongst
the ducks. I watched for about twenty minutes while all turned their heads and
no dowitcher was obvious. I walked the shore past the nest boxes almost to the
rock groyne but very few birds were present (about 30 red-necked stints, masked
lapwings and a number of red-capped plovers including one runner chick) before
heading back to the other side of the inlet channel to se if anything else was
hiding there (a single greenshank was the only other wader found).
I then drove around the lake viewing at a couple of points including a brief
walk on the north side where the concrete bunkers are (only birds seen here
were more silver gulls). Then returned to the inlet channel for one last look
with only three sharpies left. Did meet one other birder in a Queensland
registered vehicle that also had had no luck, but not certain where exactly he
had been looking.
Would be interested to know if anyone else has recorded the bird over the
weekend, but at this stage I suspect that will be a dip for me, unless I have
another excuse to head over this way in the next few weeks.
Cheers,
Peter

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 08:54:43 +1100
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Has anyone seen the Dowitcher this weekend?
>
> Finally getting a chance to head to Lake Tutchewop this afternoon, and just
> wanted to see if anyone had any luck this weekend so far to try and work out
> the best possible starting point (if none will start in the South East near
> the drain and work from there).
> Looks like Swan Hill hasn't got anywhere near the rain originally predicted
> (unfortunately for the locals) so I am hoping it hasn't up and moved. Will
> have the iPad with me so any latest news would be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list