birding-aus

Little Bronze-Cuckoo display and unusual call

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Bronze-Cuckoo display and unusual call
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:08:46 +1100
On Thursday January 8 Russell Jago and I were carrying out a Coastal Emu survey
in the Brooms Head and Sandon area, NSW north coast.  While observing an adult
male Coastal Emu with 8 black-headed juveniles foraging actively in a paddock
along the Brooms Head Road at Taloumbi we heard two Little Bronze-Cuckoos in a
nearby paperbark. When I located the Cuckoos I could see that they were both
adult males. One was displaying to the other by spreading its wings and one was
calling with a harsh call that I had not heard before. It was neither of the
calls described for the species in HANZAB. I thought I saw a third Cuckoo but
as the two males were moving about a fair bit it was hard to tell if there was
an additional bird. A Forest Kingfisher was heard calling in the distance. The
Emus disappeared suddenly when two Dingoes showed up.

Has anyone else witnessed this display and heard the unusual call?

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide