birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 5 Jan 2015 06:47:50 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 4 Jan 2015.

   Sun 4 Jan Eastern Curlew, Banded Lapwing Western Treatment Plant
   (Werribee)
   Eastern Curlew seen Western Lagoons and Banded Lapwings seen in
   Paddocks opposite Avalon Airport on Beach Road.
   Corrie & Ian Macartney
   Red-necked Avocet Fishers Wetland (Newhaven)
   One lone Red-necked Avocet resting amongst the resident Aust Shovellers
   and Black Swans. It is the first time we have seen an Avocet at Fishers
   Wetland.
   Sally & Derek Whitehead
   Sat 3 Jan Long Billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Seen at southern end surrounded by Sharp Tailed Sandpipers and other
   waders. Did not flush.
   Nick, Tom, Alex, Robyn and Duncan Goode
   Fri 2 Jan Many waders (several 1000), Terns, Plume Whistle Ducks etc.
   Winton Wetlands
   The main swamp is drying but going out with a bang with 1000s stilts,
   sandpipers, Whiskered Terns, swans, Glossy Ibis etc. etc. It literally
   will be dry within days - so hurry - superb photographic opportunities.
   To access go to boat ramp and walk directly south for 1-2 kms towards
   the maroon area (Red Milfoil) and enjoy. Need water bottle, hat, old
   runners and binos, spotting scope, camera
   Ian Davidson
   Thu 1 Jan Speckled Warbler, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Mistletoebird and
   White-throated Gerygone You Yangs Regional Park
   Speckled Warbler, Mistletoebird and Buff-rumped Thornbill all seen at
   the junction of the asphalt road leading from rangers station and the
   great circuit loop track, pulled over and all birds were seen just on
   side of road. We tracked down the White-throated Gerygone on Branding
   Yards track where was last seen, calling beautifully
   Philip Peel, Tim Nickholds and Andrew Allen
   Black-chinned Honeyeater (2) , Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater (1), Pjnk-eared
   Duck (1) Serendip Sanctuary
   Black-chinned and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater were near the observation
   tower just before north arm dam, also at the dam 1 lone Pink-eared
   Duck, also of note on dam was a lone Red-kneed Dotterel 3 Black-tailed
   Native-hens and at least 700 Magpie Geese
   Philip Peel, Tim Nickholds and Andrew Allen
   Spotless Crake (1) Grey Plover (2) Banded Plover (10) Western Treatment
   Plant (Werribee)
   Spotless Crake in pond just inside gate 4 near boat ramp on Beach Rd,
   easily observed with 2 Spotted Crake. 2 Grey Plovers and 2 Bar-tailed
   Godwits on the Spit and Banded Lapwings were in usual spot along Beach
   Rd heading towards Avalon.
   Philip Peel and Andrew Allen
   White-winged Triller (2), Red-capped Robin (3) Woodlands Historic Park
   Early morning start, 54 species but definitely highlight being male and
   female white-winged triller and 3 robins chasing each other around near
   sugar gum plantation
   Philip Peel and Andrew Allen
   Black Falcon and Australian Hobby Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   One female harassing a large flock of Shelduck resting in the paddock
   adjoining Avalon (Beach Rd. east of Avalon Airfield). Also one
   Australian Hobby plucking a small bird while perched in a dead tree
   near the Little River ford.
   Julian Lea-Wood and Tom Fletcher
   Eastern Osprey Hume Hwy near Wodonga
   Eastern Osprey seen flying over lagoon off side of Hwy between Wodonga
   and Albury but on the Wodonga side just! Very surprised to see it there
   so far inland.... but there was no mistaking it! It was low, close and
   in good light! Moderators note: no photos available for 100 %
   confirmation. Posted for others to follow up.
   Chris Steeles
   Freckled Duck, Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   Two Freckled Ducks on the "box" in the pond 24 (south-east of Lake
   Borrie); single Pectoral Sandpiper in the first lagoon north of boat
   ramp.
   Mark Stanley, Annette Hatten
   Cape Barren Geese Baxter -Mornington Peninsula Freeway north of Eramosa
   Road West
   We were driving southwards down the Freeway at 11.30 this morning and I
   noticed eight, maybe 9, Cape Barren Geese in a short-grass paddock
   beside the Freeway. Paddock probably cut for hay - lots of horses and
   hay rolls around. As I asked "Where are we?" Eramosa Road West
   appeared. Melway says the site is in Baxter.
   Anthea Fleming
   Lewin's Rail, Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake Truganina Swamp, Altona
   About 8am, immature Lewin's Rail seen close to the fence beside the
   path that runs south from the railway line between two swamps. 1x
   Spotted and Spotless Crakes in the same area. Same three species seen
   in the same area yesterday around the same time.
   Peter Shute
   Southern Boobook, Blue-winged Parrot Brisbane Ranges National Park
   We were barely 100 metres along Sheep Track when the Boobook flew to a
   tree branch just in front of us at 11.15am this morning. Also surprised
   to see a pair of BWPs in such dry woodland.
   Hedley and Irena Earl
   Buff-banded Rail La Trobe University Bundoora Campus
   1 seen right next to the car near corner of Research Ave & the Ring Rd
   next to a small pond.
   Kevin Bartram
   Little Corella Camberwell
   At the stroke of midnight, a small agitated flock settled briefly in a
   very large poplar before flying off calling. Apparently disturbed by
   the sound of fireworks from the city, possibly closer. I haven't seen
   them for months in the local area.
   George Appleby
   Wed 31 Dec Eastern Koel Benalla. Clarendon Street
   Gained our attention by calling loudly from the tree, an exotic, in the
   garden next door. Flew around the neighbourhood a few times before
   appearing to go to roost locally. Too dark to gain any photos.
   Bill & Jackie Morecraft
   Long billed Dowitcher Lake Tutchewop
   Resting in the water close to the Southern shore among a group of
   waders.
   Robyn Duff, Noel Renouf and 3 others
   Grey Goshawk(white phase), Cicadabird Yarra Ranges National
   Park--Badger Weir Park
   Vocal pair of white phase Grey Goshawk present again today (also seen
   on 19th Nov), and a pair of Cicadabird still present were the
   highlights of a great morning's birding. A great way to end the year.
   Steve Davidson - The Melbourne Birder
   Brush Bronzewing Glenfern Valley Bushland
   Des Palmer
   Pink-eared Duck, Eastern Koel Royal Botanic Gardens (Melbourne)
   A pair of pink-eared ducks was doing circle work on the Ornamental Lake
   in the Gardens this morning. I'm not sure if that is a first for the
   Gardens but certainly the first pink-ears seen by Trisha or me. Also
   saw a male koel flying across the Ornamental Lake at the same time as
   we could hear another calling. It's possible that there's two pairs of
   koels in the Gardens. Yesterday we saw a great egret in full breeding
   plumage. This bird has probably abandoned any breeding attempt this
   year due to lack of inland river flooding. From David Plant: Re Phil
   Maher's sighting of Pink-eared Ducks and querying if it was the first
   sighting at the RBG.They have been recorded there in 1997, 2002 and
   2013.
   Philip Maher
   Tue 30 Dec Spotted Quail-thrush Croajingolong National Park--Genoa Peak
   We flushed a single Spotted Quail-thrush from the Genoa Peak trail,
   about halfway to the top in a rocky section.
   Logan Lalonde
   Glossy Ibis McDonald Swamp Wildlife Reserve
   Up to 50 Glossy Ibis (some in breeding plumage) feeding on the North
   East shoreline located off Lancaster Road. Water in the lake is going
   through drawdown phase creating opportunities for waders.
   Adrian Martins via Anthony Sloan
   Long Billed Dowitcher and Square Tailed Kite Lake Tutchewop
   The Long Billed Dowitcher is still at Lake Tutchewop. It was found by
   us this morning in the SW corner of the lake. It wasn't in the water
   but was in some of the shoreline scrub sheltering down with the STSP to
   keep out of the strong wind. Also on the way up and also on the way
   back a Square Tailed kite was seen hawking above the road just north of
   Durham Ox.
   Greg and Janice McKay and Dave Livermore
   Mon 29 Dec Square-tailed Kite Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary
   Flew low over the dam & camping area.
   Kathy Costello, Val La May, Jenny Lawson, Julie Rundell
   Tue 23 Dec Leucistic eurasian coot Lake Murphy
   Observed from a long distance through binos appeared to be a Leucistic
   Eurasian Coot swimming amongst a throng of other water birds (including
   hundreds of other Coots) on Lake Murphy.
   Adrian Martins
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>