birding-aus

I-Pod speaker

Subject: I-Pod speaker
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:43:04 +0800

I have a Bluetooth speaker, so no cable required for my iPhone 4S or iTouch. Cost about $60 in the US back in April. Circular and comparatively small (about 10cm diameter and 3cm deep). Very easy to connect (go to settings, turn Bluetooth on, and then select the speaker). No batteries, so it needs to be recharged through a USB port or charger, but it doesn't seem to use that much power so it has always lasted the day easily. It seems to save power on the iPhone / iTouch compared to connecting it via a cable. Your iPod should have Bluetooth capability. My iTouch does.

You can put it on the ground (or in the fork of a tree), back away 20 metres and play the call in short bursts. This worked brilliantly for King Rail, Clapper Rail, Northern Bobwhite, etc in the US.

I am not at home at the moment, so I can't remember the make and model. JBW Wireless or something similar. Bright red was the only colour available at the time.