birding-aus

WA Twitchathon preliminary results

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: WA Twitchathon preliminary results
From: Mark Newman <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 08:10:10 +0000
Hello

Some of you may or may not have been aware that this was going to be my last
twitchathon as a Western Whistler & I had thought at the beginning it was
possible for some records to tumble.
I will just put some ups & downs & Steve as usual will put out a report later.

Highlights
Laying in a bush early Saturday morning on a recce looking straight at a Noisy
Scrubbird as he called & called. A Wonderful clever bird.
2 Barn Owls - our bogey bird. So pleased to see them finally.
3 Birds not on a twitch before , Barn Owl ,Little Bittern & White Backed
Swallow. ( so over 5 years a grand total of 211 species ).
3 Masked Lapwings now at Kalgan , maybe they have bred.
Juv White Bellied Sea Eagle doing a great impression of a Bustard walking thru
a Paddock. We skidded to a halt hoping for at least a chance of a Bustard for
best bird.
The Night birding was excellent a clean sweep & also getting 6 waders & one
duck in the night at Wagin. My favourite moment of the twitch. Also never
thought I would actually be pleased to have a balaclava in Western Australia.
Having a 20 min kip wearing it as it was about 6 degs ( felt colder ) at
Dryandra & then be woken by Steve as the Masked Owl called flying over the
fields.
My first Brush Tailed Phascogale.
Excellent views of Crested Shrike Tit again.
We were behind at every stage of our route ( bar nightbirds ) compared to the
last 2 years so we decided once we left Wearne Road that it was Boom or Bust
time & we decided to head towards the City Lakes Monger, Herdsman & Claremont &
leave out Bibra ,Yangebup & Ellis Brook. And I can see why some of you guys go
to this lakes even with the traffic you can build up numbers with ease. We
ticked off more than expected ( but no Freckled Duck ).
Having nearly 2 locations for every species & having all the recce work pay off.
McClarty for being the saviour at the end.
Breaking our record by 1 & finishing with 183.

Downs
On the Friday night recce for Night birds taking two out of state visitors with
us & dipping all 6, Weather was poor but not even a call & looking like a
couple of twats.
Hitting 2 Roo's at one time & sadly killing them, Very sad in fact. Causing a
bit of a delay.
No Black Shouldered Kites again or Little Eagle.
Also Dipping both Godwits
Dipping Painted Button Quail especially after finding a male & 4 young a couple
of days previous.
No Turnstones at Woodman Point
Not having enough time to go to Len Howard for the Ruff ( after finding it &
then checking every couple of days ) as we run short of time for McClarty.
Nairns was awful ,only thing there were Silver Gulls.
Not being able to tick the Pheasant haha

Any way big thanks go to Steve with putting up with me for 5 years.
John for organising this fantastic event.
Ruff Knights for being very hard fanatical opponents.
Other competitors Robyn, Alan, Nick & Wes for being  such nice people.

My Kids finished their local twitch with 26 by pedalling around the local parks
& they are my future now.

Cheers