birding-aus

Lake Hattah and Sunset NP

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Lake Hattah and Sunset NP
From: Jenny Spry <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:23:31 +1100
Hi all,

Last weekend Joy and I did a 6 hour drive to Ouyen for an overnight visit.
We left Melbourne at about 1000 on Saturday and got back home at about 1700
on Sunday so we only had limited time for birding.

After we checked into the motel on Saturday we did a quick trip into Hattah
Lakes National Park. The lakes are still full and there are plenty of water
birds. The water levels are falling so I expect it will be possible to get
into the campgrounds later this summer.

The place we chose to go birding on Sunday was Honeymoon Track in
Murray-Sunset National Park. The old Wimlet Tank has been aggressively
bulldozed into a larger dam and has lost some of its charm but I guess it
will hold more water and have better access for fire fighting needs.
Hopefully the old ground cover will one day return and it will even start
to look attractive again. The birds certainly still like it though and in
the hour or so that we watched there was a constant stream of them coming
in to drink.

This short visit into the dry and warm north-west was a very pleasant
change from my recent 2 weeks in the humid warmth of Christmas Island &
Cocos Keeling, but I didn't get any new ticks at Ouyen (smile). On the CI &
CK trip I got four new birds including Red-throated Pipit and Re-rumped
Swallow. It was another excellent trip with lots of vagrants on the islands.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/
<HR>