birding-aus

Dutch Birder Throws Spanner in Conservation Campaign Works

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Dutch Birder Throws Spanner in Conservation Campaign Works
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 20:12:49 +1000
John
There was no possibility of a misunderstanding. This birder knew very
well that he was not supposed to go onto those properties.
Greg Roberts

        You may have explained it to him, but he obviously didn't understand.
In many European countries there is public access to all farm land,
but this may have been the cause of the misunderstanding John Leonard
On 8 December 2014 at 17:32, Greg Roberts <
[1]> wrote: >__ >__ >_ The irresponsible behaviour of a visiting Dutch
birder has seriously_ >_ compromised efforts to protect a valuable
wetland and waterbird_ >_ habitat on Queensland's Sunshine Coast._ >_
An impressive list of species that are rare in south-east Queensland_
>_ for the Yandina Creek Wetlands includes Eastern Grass Owl,
Red-backed_ >_ Buttonquail, Large-tailed Nightjar, Australian Spotted
Crake,_ >_ Australian Painted Snipe, Broad-billed Sandpiper, Lewin's
Rail, King_ >_ Quail, Black-necked Stork, Australian Little Bittern
and Black-tailed_ >_ Native-hen. The extent and richness of the
wetlands was unknown until_ >_ recently, when I stumbled upon a large
area of marshland while_ >_ surveying the boundaries of two sugar cane
farms that I have_ >_ permission to bird on. I submitted an
application to the Sunshine_ >_ Coast Regional Council for the
acquisition of three properties_ >_ covering 200 hectares under its
land conservation program. Various_ >_ birding and environmental
organisations supported the application and_ >_ efforts were underway
the identify the owners of the properties to_ >_ seek their permission
for a comprehensive survey of the area by a team_ >_ of experts._ >_ I
published some of the interesting bird records to draw attention to_
>_ the site, and several people contacted me to seek information
about_ >_ visiting. I explained why there was no public access at this
time._ >_ This information was conveyed in no uncertain terms by me
and other_ >_ locals to a visiting Dutch birder, Pieter De Groot
Boesma. However,_ >_ Pieter decided to ignore that advice and enter
the properties without_ >_ permission. He was found by the owners and
when questioned, he told_ >_ them the site was being used for birding
tours. This information was_ >_ false but the owners, upset that
people were trespassing and_ >_ apparently using their land for
commercial purposes without_ >_ permission, have placed a ban on any
birders entering the properties._ >_ Worse, the owners have refused
permission for a team of experts to_ >_ survey the area, and have
indicated they are not interested in_ >_ negotiating a sale to the
council. Those interested in protecting the_ >_ area were deprived of
the opportunity of first contact to establish a_ >_ good relationship
with the property owners._ >_ Pieter has enjoyed the hospitality of
several Australian birders_ >_ through birding-pal. It is
disappointing that he repays that kindness_ >_ with behaviour of this
kind. I notice today that Pieter posted_ >_ photographs of mine from
Saturday's Sunshine Coast pelagic on social_ >_ media without
acknowledgement, so the lad has form if nothing else._ >_ Greg
Roberts_ >_ _ >_  Birding-Aus mailing list_ >_
 [2]_ >_  To change settings or unsubscribe
visit:_ >_
[3]_ >_ _ >__ -- John Leonard Canberra Australia
www.jleonard.netbirding

Links:
------
[1]