birding-aus

Silver Gull head-markings

To: "" <>
Subject: Silver Gull head-markings
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 08:31:24 +1100
Wonder if anyone can help? At the weekend I went to Lake Tuchewop in
Victoria to look for the Long-billed Dowitcher and arrived at the southern
end of the lake on Saturday evening just before it got dark. Whilst
searching for the wader I noticed an immature gull with a classic
non-breeding head-pattern as a Black-headed Gull, (two small dark-patches)
however the other birders present assured me that it was just a juvenile
Silver Gull (....and it probably was!)
I then realised that I've hardly bothered to look at juvenile Silver Gulls
and never seen this feature in the past. Does anyone have imagery (or know
of some web-links) of juvenile Silver Gull which show head-markings? All
the ones that I've checked so far don't show any.

Any assistance gratefully received,

Tom

--
Tom