birding-aus

Historic channels

To: Chris Sanderson <>
Subject: Historic channels
From: Ashwin Rudder <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:55:59 +1100
Hi all,

I agree with Chris that it's largely not something to be concerned about
unless you are a professional photographer whose main income source comes
from photography, and in that case you likely aren't going to put the
photos on facebook to begin with, since you want to sell them at a later
date. And it is always your call.

It's also worth bearing in mind that practically all companies that provide
a platform for sharing things such as photos have a similar policy. So the
chance of a photo being used by facebook to make them money is probably
about as high as that Gmail or Microsoft will do the same with any email
you've ever sent. Yet birding-aus persists.

Finally, in the context that we are talking here: rare birds, the
identification of such, and the coordination of twitches in pursuit of
them, it's not likely that the photos or videos that people are sharing are
of the quality that would make them sellable. So to be honest, if I post a
shot of the dowitcher asking for an ID, I am far more interested in getting
that ID than worried about facebook taking it and making money off it. I
was never going to sell that shot in the first place.

Cheers,
Ashwin

<HR>