birding-aus

SHORT-BILLED/Long-billed DOWITCHER, NORTH VICTORIA

To: Mike Carter <>
Subject: SHORT-BILLED/Long-billed DOWITCHER, NORTH VICTORIA
From: James Mustafa <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:57:02 +1100
Just driving back from Lake Tutchewop after successfully twitching the
dowitcher with Scott Baker. Have put coordinates on a birdline report.

In terms of which species, will still need confirmation from Jeff Davies and
the team I think but Mike Carter told me if it does a single note call every
few seconds that makes the bird a Long-billed Dowitcher. We observed he bird
doing this call a few times and I have filmed it also.

Photos to come and I'll put a big write up on my VicTwitch blog.

Good luck twitchers

James Mustafa

0400951517
www.jamesmustafajazzorchestra.com

> On 10 Nov 2014, at 5:22 pm, "Mike Carter" <> wrote:
>
> If it turns out to be a Short-billed Dowitcher and is accepted, your right
> Joshua that would be second  record for Australia, the first being a bird
> that was banded at Corner Inlet in Victoria on 18 June 1995. However, there
> was another Short-billed Dowitcher at the Price Saltfields in South Australia
> from 1-11 December 1999 that was seen by many people including John Cox, John
> Hatch Tony Palliser and myself and was well documented but never made it to
> BARC so constitutes a report not a record. Another American Dowitcher not
> identified to species was seen by Bob Swindley et al. sometime between those
> dates somewhere near Wilson's Prom in Victoria. If this one turns out to be a
> Long-billed that will be a long expected new one for the Aussie list and ruin
> a fantasy that I would find the first on one of my regular count sites SE of
> Melbourne. Nevertheless,  I hope to see this one tomorrow!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike Carter, 03 9787 7136
> 30 Canadian Bay Road
> Mount Eliza, VIC 3930, Australia