birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 10 Nov 2014 08:39:31 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 9 Nov 2014.

   Sun 9 Nov Wood Sandpiper Killarney Wetlands, Middle Swamp
   Single Wood Sandpiper observed in the Killarney Wetlands. It was in the
   swampy area which is to the right of the road when travel towards
   Killarney Beach. A handful of Sharpies also present.
   Scott Baker, Kevin Bartram, James Mustafa
   Sat 8 Nov Dollarbird Jaycee Island, Benalla
   I read the report by Fiona Parken re this bird. Decided to take a look
   today on the way back from Wangaratta and was in luck
   Tim Van Leeuwen
   White-headed Pigeon Toolangi, Spraggs Rd - Private Property
   For the last week and a half (on and off), we have had a White-headed
   pigeon loitering around our chicken pen, presumably after the free
   seed.
   Phil Rance
   Eastern Koel Private Gardens Murchison East
   Eastern Koel still present in Murchison East. Neighbors have seen it
   eating in Loquat tree.
   Anne Finlay
   Common Koel, Cooee Bird Quarry Hill, Bendigo Victoria
   We have heard the distinctive male and female call in our neighbourhood
   for the last 2 years at the same time of year. The male sits in a large
   fig tree on Peel Street. He's very easy to spot.
   "Ranger" Cameron Smith and "Detective" Samuel Pitson (9 year old
   wildlife adventurers)
   Channel-billed Cuckoo Middle Park, inner Melbourne
   Visiting from Sydney for the weekend and surprised to hear the
   unmistakeable calls of a Channel-billed Cuckoo - glimpsed briefly
   flying over.
   Alistair Poore
   Fri 7 Nov Glossy Ibis Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   Spotted & photographed 7 Glossy Ibis at the Borrow Pits in the early
   afternoon.
   Ray Fox
   Rose-ringed Parakeet (Indian Ringneck) Bentleigh East
   A green long-tailed parrot flying overhead with some Rainbow Lorikeets
   in the late afternoon, calling loudly. Presumably an escapee...
   Lewis Hiller
   Thu 6 Nov Royal Spoonbill Royal Park Wetlands
   A pair of Royal Spoonbills in treatment pond of Royal Park Wetlands
   sighted at around 9:00am.
   Chris Nicholson
   White-throated Gerygone Stone Street, Heywood
   One adult bird observed, calling as it foraged in eucalypts.
   Peter Barrand
   Whiskered Tern Albert Park Lake
   About 25 terns seen flying and diving into Albert Park Lake, at least 2
   of which were definitely breeding plumage (dark-bellied) Whiskered
   Terns. Presumably the rest were Whiskereds too. May have been around
   for a while as I usually don't drive home this way. Good to see so
   close to the city.
   Sean Dooley
   White-throated Gerygone Inverleigh Flora and Fauna Reserve
   1 very vocal bird in crisp plumage singing continuously in this dry
   grassy woodland 25 km west of Geelong. It was being harassed constantly
   by white-throated treecreepers when it sang. Rare in the Geelong
   district.
   John Newman
   Banded Stilts Lake Victoria
   A flock of probably over 2000 Banded Stilts are now feeding in the
   shallows of Lake Victoria near the golf club pond.
   Rod Corinaldi
   Wed 5 Nov Turquoise Parrot x2 Stanley State Forest--Gapsted Block
   9 km from Myrtleford
   Scott Jessup
   Painted Honeyeater Stanley State Forest--Gapsted Block
   9 km from Myrtleford
   Scott Jessup
   Eastern Koel (Australian Koel) North Valley Rd, Highton
   Unmistakable repetitive "coo-ee" call heard; 18:00. Still calling from
   grove of tall trees opposite Gweneth Ave corner; 18:50.
   Lynne Clarke per Craig Morley
   Painted Honeyeater Fighting Gully Rd near Beechworth
   Good sighting in heavy mistletoe growth on the roadside near Ryans
   Lane. Thanks to Richard Loyn for the tip off.
   Linda and Bill Hayes
   Tue 4 Nov Freckled Duck Albert Park Lake
   This afternoon David Eades alerted me to the presence of a (probably
   immature male) Freckled Duck in the NW section of Albert Park Lake.
   When I arrived it was resting on a dead Juncus tussock on the SW of the
   larger of the two mud islands. We had crippling views of this cracking
   bird on the island, which got even better when it swam within about 4m
   of us! This is the second known record of this species in the City of
   Port Phillip. The other also being a single bird found by David in
   January of this year. Video footage of the duck should be available
   soon at https://www.youtube.com/user/gioecoenviro
   David W. Eades and Gio Fitzpatrick
   Mon 3 Nov Osprey Darby River beach Wilsons Prom
   Escorted by a dozen or so Pacific Gulls.
   Jeff Davies
   Mallee Emu-wren Murray-Sunset National Park
   Large (8-12) group on Pheeneys Tk just east of Underbool Tk.
   Gavin Masters & Mal Chicksen
   Dollarbird (2) Jaycee Island Lake Benalla
   Best views from playground looking over opposite side of river
   treetops. Same spot as previous years. Birds very vocal and territorial
   at dusk. Attacked Galahs, Eastern Rosellas and Sulphur-crested
   Cockatoos.
   Fiona Parkin
   Channel-billed Cuckoo Cemetery Track (Cann River)
   Channel- billed Cuckoo identified by its distinctive call from a
   forested area along Cemetery Track near Noorinbee around midday today.
   James Turner and Len Axen
   Eastern Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
   Single male Eastern Koel calling and then seen at 3pm in a tall tree
   outside Gardens House.
   John Barkla & Alison Street
   Eastern Koel Private Gardens in Murchison East
   Eastern Koel sighted on Saturday 1st November being harassed by Red
   Wattlebirds and Willie Wagtails in our garden, heard again early this
   morning in the neighbours gardens
   Anne Finlay
   Sun 2 Nov Cicadabird and Blue-billed Duck Lake Kerford, near Beechworth
   A male Blue-billed Duck on lake, where the only other waterbirds seen
   today were Coot and Wood Duck. Blue-bills are rare in this area of NE
   Vic. A Cicadabird calling in nearby forest, also White-throated
   Gerygones etc. Painted Honeyeaters still at Buckland Gap.
   Richard Loyn
   Eastern Koel Trees ~50-100 m north of 1 Chum St Bendigo
   Single Koel calling 8:20 pm on 1 Nov and 8 pm on 2 Nov when leaving St.
   John's Hospital (visiting from Sydney). Spotted one Koel in patch of
   eucalypts across the road from Bendigo Day Surgery.
   Charles M Allan
   Male Koel 3 Nelson Street, California Gully 3556
   A male Koel has been sitting in the canopy of our very large Morton bay
   fig tree for a number of days now. Today was the first time we observed
   and identified him by his call and description on google. We will keep
   our ears out for the call of the female.
   Jane and Lily Melhuish
   Marsh Sandpipers and Banded Stilts Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   30+ Marsh Sandpipers and 150 + Banded Stilts In Pond 7, T Junction.
   Also a possible Long Toed Stint (with lone Sharp-tailed Sandpiper) on
   beachfront rocks in vicinity of 145 WB Lagoon.
   Corrie and Ian Macartney
   Australian Spotted Crake Lake Sambell, Beechworth
   One feeding regularly along rushy shore near caravan park, from 29 Oct
   to today. Very faithful to a short 20m stretch of shore, and quite
   easily seen despite dense cover of rushes behind. This species is rare
   at this lake (>500m asl, and water levels often higher than at
   present). Also present are 3 Latham's Snipe, 2 Red-kneed Dotterel, an
   Australasian Shoveler (all scarce at this lake), 2 Hardhead, a
   Buff-banded Rail, a Darter, Black-fronted Dotterels, Little Grassbirds,
   8 Cattle Egrets in breeding plumage (on 31 Oct), etc. Painted
   Honeyeaters calling nearby.
   Richard Loyn
   Glossy Ibis Reed Cres. wetland, Wonthaggi
   1 Glossy Ibid in full breeding plumage feeding along muddy margins 25m
   from bird hide. Poor phone photo only!
   Mike Tesch, Geoff Glare
   Sat 1 Nov Topknot Pigeon Gipsy Point
   Flock of 25 birds seen on Genoa river. A subsequent flock further
   upstream probably same birds. Another single bird recorded at Adobe
   Flats same day.
   Scott Baker, James Mustafa, Tim Bawden,, Kevin Bartram, Rob Farnes and
   Neil Mcumber
   Osprey Mallacoota
   Bird observed from Adobe Flats. Apparently has been other recent
   reports on the Genoa river.
   Scott Baker, James Mustafa
   Brush Cuckoo Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary Linton Vic
   A couple of birds calling strongly from 6:00 am Saturday morning at two
   separate sites on the sanctuary. Light rain falling and quite calm, by
   7:00am, wild, wet and windy.
   David Coutts
   Fri 31 Oct Square-tailed Kite Gipsy Point
   Single bird observed flying over forest near river.
   Scott Baker, James Mustafa and Rob Farnes
   Australasian Figbird Mallacoota
   Are presently 6-10 Figbirds in Mallacoota township, mostly seen in
   trees near supermarket and easily located by distinctive call. Another
   single bird recorded at Adobe Flats.
   Scott Baker
   Painted Honeyeater Buckland Gap near Beechworth
   A few in treed farmland, lots of mistletoe, 29-31 Oct. Also
   White-throated Gerygone, etc.
   Richard Loyn
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list