birding-aus

SIPO may have flown the coop.

To: birding-aus Aus <>
Subject: SIPO may have flown the coop.
From: John Weigel <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 21:31:49 +1100
Well, the bird was last seen on the airstrip Friday morning. I arrived this
morning (Saturday), and left late this avo with no sighting, despite a big
effort to see most accessible paddocks and shoreline.  A number of birders are
on the island for Ian Hutton's LHI Birdweek, but nobody saw the SIPO this
morning.

To rub salt in the wound, I bumped into Jack Shick at mid-day. He'd been out
fishing and photographed a Black Petrel, one of several emerging boogie birds
for this frustrated camper.

Of interest, there's an Australasian Shellduck on the island presently,
apparently the first since 1985.

John Weigel