birding-aus

Invasive species

To: <>
Subject: Invasive species
From: "Euan Moore" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:28:28 +1100
The stuff about the Sydney Fox Rescue and other issues with invasive species
is rather timely as I have been looking at the following website
http://www.feralscan.org.au/default.aspx

Some of you will already be familiar with Mynascan
http://www.feralscan.org.au/mynascan/ but for those who aren't the site is
worth a look and it is a chance to at least help take some action against
some feral species.  Many of us are out in the field a fair bit so we are
ideally suited to contribute to this citizen science project and to the
control of invasive species.

Mynascan also has a mobile phone app for those who want to send records that
way.

Carl mentioned the idea of a white list of permitted species and bonds
required from those that imported new species.  This was raised recently
during stakeholder consultations with DEPI (in Vic) relating to the
management of invasive birds. You can see a summary of what happened at
http://invasives.org.au/blog/paying-lip-service-prevention/

Cheers,

Euan Moore

<HR>