birding-aus

Magpie Geese in Victoria query

To: "David Clark" <>, "Jenny Spry" <>
Subject: Magpie Geese in Victoria query
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:43:27 +1100
Hi Jenny and David,

The Magpie Goose recolonised New South Wales in the early 1980s and I documented this in a paper in the Australian Birds journal. We have had Geese in northern New South Wales ever since but there have been short periods when they have been hard to find. In the early days we did get flocks of 400+ but in recent years a maximum flock of 120+ has been normal. This number usually includes recently fledged juveniles as the species breeds regularly in the Coldstream Wetlands near Ulmarra.

At the same time as the species was naturally recolonising New South Wales captive bred birds, apparently originating from the Victorian captive population, were released at the Wetlands Centre at Shortland, in the Hunter Valley. This was unfortunate as it muddied the water with respect to monitoring a natural recolonisation event. Captive breeding and release is not always the best method to recover populations of fauna. It should only be used when all other in-situ actions have been taken and have failed. It is also useless releasing captive-bred fauna into areas where the impacts that caused the extinction are still present. Anyway I will stop my rant now on that topic but as you may have gathered I was bitterly disappointed with the release at such a critical time.

Regards
Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide