birding-aus

Birds in Backyards

To: Peter Morgan <>, "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Birds in Backyards
From: Tim Hosking <>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:53:36 +0000
Hi Peter,

I agree the entry system could be massively improved if it respected local
rarity - even using a State-level list if a regional list could not be achieved
(they rarely rare unfortunately) would be a great asset to the accuracy of the
data.

In my experience some non-birdos do not use/know 'recognised' common names, so
a 'Blue-breasted Fairy Wren' is the same thing as a Superb Fairy Wren.   In
this case they may recognise the bird well, but fail to properly identify it -
so it is more a knowledge gap hurdle rather than an actual entry error.  In a
local bird ID course we've run here several times we get people to do homework,
carefully instructing them to use 'Field Guide' names for their lists.  Despite
clear instruction this, some still resist - with crows,  Topnot Pigeons and
Grey Herons popping up relatively frequently.  Not sure how to address this
except at the data vetting stage and through ongoing education/awareness
activities.

And even then... hope someone has some serious time to vet!   There could be
opportunities with local groups to ease the burden here by vetting records for
their area - an example is where all Indian Myna records for Dubbo are probably
false, and of great interest to us who'll be keen to visit to check each
record, with a bird book in one hand (most are Noisy or Yellow-throated Miners)
and a Myna trap in the other just in case!

Cheers Tim

Tim Hosking | President, Dubbo Field Naturalist and Conservation Society Inc.|
PO Box 1171, Dubbo NSW 2830 | Mob: 0438 600 837 |
   www.dubbofieldnats.org.au
www.facebook.com/dubbofieldnats