birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 6 Oct 2014 06:58:02 +1000
   Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 5 Oct 2014.

   Sun 5 Oct Glossy Black Cockatoo Sharyn Bonney Bushland
   Reserve,Caloundra
   On Sugar Loaf Road,Caloundra- a pair still present this morning
   Ross and Natalie Sinclair
   Sat 4 Oct Glossy Black-Cockatoo Sharyn Bonney Bushland Reserve, Aroona
   A group of four (consisting of male/female pairs) seen feeding in the
   abundant Black She-Oaks within the reserve. A lovely find, especially
   given the close proximity to busy Caloundra.
   Christian Perrin
   Fri 3 Oct Brush Cuckoo, Channel-billed Cuckoo Cooloola NP -Cooroibah
   section
   Three Brush Cuckoo heard, also single Channel-billed Cuckoo, both first
   for this Spring. Shining-bronze and Fan-tailed easily seen
   Russ Lamb
   Thu 2 Oct Wandering Tattler Point Cartwright, QLD.
   2x Wandering Tattlers seen right on low tide at 7:30am. The Tattlers
   were joined on the rocks by a Greater Sand Plover. The birds spent most
   of the time foraging on the western half of the rock ledge. At one
   point one of the Tattlers chased the Sand Plover after it grabbed a
   morsel.
   Chris Martinez & Daniel Venema
   Mon 29 Sep Eyrean Grasswren Birdsville area
   Two birds located on a dune on the right hand track just before 'Little
   Red' on the Simpson Desert National Park Rd. The turn off to the track
   is exactly 34.6 kms from the Birdsville hotel. We went down the track
   1.7 km then climbed the sand dune on the left. The birds were located
   in this area within 30 minutes.
   Bernie OKeefe and Ken Haines
   Sun 28 Sep Square-tailed Kite, Pacific Baza (3) Tondoon Botanic
   Gardens, Gladstone
   One adult SQT cruising above the treetops at the orchard behind the
   lake. A family of 3 Bazas are very vocal around the cafe and above the
   lake at the moment as well.
   Elliot Leach
   Sat 27 Sep Zitting Cisticola (2) Port Alma Rd, near Cheetham Salt Works
   After looking at HANZAB and consulting with people / looking at images
   online, I am now happy to identify two cisticolas that we saw while
   searching for the Yellow Chats on Saturday as Zitting Cisticolas. This
   ID was based on plumage characteristics mentioned in HANZAB, and on
   calls heard in flight. I have fixed our original site list to include
   these birds. Further information including a summary from HANZAB can be
   found in the link.
   Elliot Leach; Jess Mackie
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list