birding-aus

[no subject]

To: Birding Aus <>
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 14:06:26 +0930
  Content preview:  ON Oct 2 I visited Arnhem Land with a couple of friends -
   Sue Fraser-Adams and Penny Drake-Brockman. It wasn?t a birding trip - we were
    actually taking out crosses for a couple of graves - those of Reverend. P.
    Nganjmirra and Mrs. E. Managku. These elders were involved with the Baby
   Dreaming project, and supported the ceasing of hunting at their best
billabong,
    so that it could be utilised by birders. [...]

 Content analysis details:   (-1.9 points, 5.0 required)

  pts rule name              description
  0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED          ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
blocked.
                             See

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
                              for more information.
                             [URIs: pozible.com.au]
 -1.9 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0000]
ON Oct 2 I visited Arnhem Land with a couple of friends - Sue Fraser-Adams =
and Penny Drake-Brockman.  It wasn=92t a birding trip - we were actually ta=
king out crosses for a couple of graves - those of Reverend. P. Nganjmirra =
and Mrs. E. Managku.  These elders were involved with the Baby Dreaming pro=
ject, and supported the ceasing of hunting at their best billabong, so that=
 it could be utilised by birders. =

It=92s just as well they=92re not around to see just how much of the floodp=
lains around Gunbalunya (western Arnhem Land) are now covered with Olive Hy=
menachne and Para Grass.  So instead of hunting magpie-goose the Kunwinjku =
are now grazing cattle.  This invasion doesn=92t auger well for other wetla=
nd birds either.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841

PhD candidate, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW.

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Founding Member: Australian Federation of Graduate Women Northern Territory
043 8650 835

On 5 Oct 2014, at 1:35 pm, Barbara Stewart <=
com.au> wrote:

> Hi everyone
> =

> I have a particular interest in rainforest habitat restoration and, at th=
is minute, as outlined in the request to follow, I'm particularly intereste=
d in habitat of Albert=92s Lyrebird. =

> =

> My property at Wilsons Creek west of Mullumbimby has accommodated two lyr=
ebird territories, up the back bordering Mount Jerusalem National Park, for=
 the whole of the 30 years that I have lived here. Just in the last month, =
another pair has moved into regrowth that has been developing in the centra=
l parts of the property. If they can establish and persist here, it will be=
 a wonderful reward for restoration efforts over the years. (It is actually=
 quite distracting to have a bird calling intermittently 20 m from my home =
office!) I am wondering if anybody else has experience or knowledge of Albe=
rt=92s Lyrebirds setting up new territories and expanding into regrowth and=
 restored habitat?
> =

> A particular reason for posting today is to ask for your support for a cr=
owd-funded campaign to restore habitat for Albert=92s Lyrebird. Our landcar=
e group has been chosen as one of 15 projects nationally for the launch of =
the Pozible/Landcare Environment Collection, an initiative launched for the=
 25th anniversary of landcare at a recent conference in Melbourne. Our camp=
aign has got off to a great start. Now we need help to meet our funding tar=
get by 29 October, and would very much appreciate assistance with getting t=
he word out through your networks. A crowd-funded campaign works on lots of=
 (mostly small) donations and sharing of campaign details through social me=
dia. =

> =

> Details are at www.pozible.com.au/helpalbert
> =