birding-aus

[no subject]

To: Birding Aus <>
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:19:54 +1000
  Content preview:  G?day I spent a couple of days on the Bunya Mts (Qld) last
    week. Although it was school holiday time, the campgrounds weren?t packed
    on week nights, and the walking tracks were fairly quiet away from the
Dandabah
    hot spots. The dawn choruses were pretty good, with the pittas and
riflebirds
    calling regularly. [...]

 Content analysis details:   (-2.6 points, 5.0 required)

  pts rule name              description
 -0.7 RP_MATCHES_RCVD        Envelope sender domain matches handover relay
domain
 -1.9 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0000]
I spent a couple of days on the Bunya Mts (Qld) last week.  Although it was=
 school holiday time, the campgrounds weren=92t packed on week nights, and =
the walking tracks were fairly quiet away from the Dandabah hot spots.  The=
 dawn choruses were pretty good, with the pittas and riflebirds calling reg=
ularly.

Yesterday morning, I was out before the noisy crowd and looked up while pas=
sing through the well known fig (a few hundred metres from Dandabah).  Whil=
e there were no telltale droppings on the boardwalk through the tree, a Soo=
ty Owl (as featured on the info board inside the tree) was quietly roosting=
 on an internal branch about 15 metres up.  I was surprised to see it, give=
n that hundreds of people would have passed through the tree on a daily bas=
is that week.

I imagine that most people pass through the tree without noticing the bird =
and it has become accustomed to people so that it doesn=92t flush.  I think=
 that as long as people don=92t shine lights at it or use call playback, th=
at bird might be a reliable feature there.  I was certainly able to get goo=
d photos without using a flash at 8 am.

Regards, Laurie.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list