birding-aus

Access to Hattah-Kulkyne camping

To: "" <>
Subject: Access to Hattah-Kulkyne camping
From: <>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 23:32:18 +0000
Peter,

I suggest that you check directly with the rangers at Hattah.  There is
currently a large amount of environmental water being pumped into the lakes.
The last I heard (last June) was that pumping would continue until about
November.

We were there for a brief stop in mid August.  At that time both Hattah &
Mournpall campgrounds were closed.  The Hattah campground was largely under
water.  The water was up to the edge of the day visitor car park.  The road to
Lake Mournpall was closed at the information centre (12km south of the lake).
It would have been flooded at the low points a few km north of the info centre.

For those roads in the park that are open a Subaru should be ok.  I used to
drive a Subaru Liberty and never had problems on any of the roads in Hattah NP
but I haven’t been along the Konardin track for a few years.

It may be possible to camp along the Murray, not too far from the park.

This use of environmental water should result in some great birding in the
coming months as food supplies build up in the lakes.

Cheers,

Euan Moore.

Message: 16