birding-aus

Malleefowl Forum, Spring Sightings and a Free Coffee Cup

To: "" <>
Subject: Malleefowl Forum, Spring Sightings and a Free Coffee Cup
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:36:24 +1000
Just returned from the 5th National Mallleefowl Forum held over the
weekend at Western Plains Zoo at Dubbo. A good crowd for the first forum
 to be held in NSW and as usual some really interesting presentations -
each time I leave the forum my head is filled with more and more ideas
on the complexity of managing these interesting birds.
Drove up from
my base in Albury on Friday and returned today (after stopping in Forbes
 last night). Plenty of good birds about with a summary of threatened
and interesting birds as follows:

Blue-billed Duck - a pair with 3
 chicks is present at Gum Swamp at Forbes (as reported on BirdLine by
Warren Chad). I saw the adults on Friday, and the female with one chick
this morning (the chick was diving just like an adult) - I suspect very
few breeding records of this species. All the usual suspects, including
at least half a dozen Freckled Ducks were also present, with 5 raptors
this morning (best was a Peregrine hammering through and upsetting all
the Feral Pigeons). Missed the Plum-headed Finches by about 10 minutes
on Friday (apparently an unusual record and may have been a flock
passing through?)

Superb Parrot - plenty in small numbers between
 Uranquinty and south of Forbes (best was five at the latter site). Many
 more were seen today, with a number of pairs between Temora and Junee.

Musk
 Lorikeet - lots around Dubbo, with a small flock feeding on lerps (like
 a Swift Parrot!) on Mountain Creek Road (see below).

Grey-crowned
 Babbler - a number of birds seen, including two separate groups at
Mountain Creek Road (and birds yahooing while sitting in the conference
room while at the zoo on Saturday).

On Saturday afternoon needed a
 leg stretch after sitting all day so drove towards Parks (original
intention was Mogo SF) and stopped at a patch of bush at Mountain Creek
Road. As well as the sightings above also had 3 Ground Cuckoo-shrikes
and my first Pallid Cuckoo heard for the year. At least four species of
orchids were present with Glossodia major in particyular being common.

White-breasted
 Woodswallows are returning - 1 heard at Gum Swamp and a number in
Parkes on Friday evening, and one crossed the road near Wyalong this
morning. A couple of Duskies were the only Woodswallow recorded.

Plenty of Rufous Songlarks on wires (but they were in the eastern Riverina by
late August this year).

 was intrigued that Brown Honeyeaters were so common in Dubbo (I could
hear at least four from my motel). Apparently they have increased
significantly in the last ten years or so, but this is my first record
on visits in the last few years.

If you have got this far, I
managed to leave my reusable Keep Cup on the fence post at the front of
the bird hide this morning. Not particualrly worried, and would be happy
 if another birder claims it (sorry it is in Cronulla Sharks colours).
Otherwise, I am intrigued to see if this network will track down its
final owner.

Cheers,
Peter
<HR>