birding-aus

Who has been to see the Citrine Wagtail - Update on Survey (long)

To: "" <>
Subject: Who has been to see the Citrine Wagtail - Update on Survey (long)
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 06:32:02 +1000
I joined 7 other very enthusiastic and friendly birders yesterday (Saturday
13th September 2014) to find the Citrine Wagtail. Despite scanning all edges of
the main pond (opposite the wooden hide) and the adjacent sewage pond and
overflow dam for several hours, there was no sign of the Citrine Wagtail. It
was last positively sighted on Tuesday 8th September 2014.

The bird may have moved on to another part of the wetlands and is being
overlooked, or it may have moved somewhere else entirely. Sadly it may have
also become a meal for one of the many raptors or feral cats which hunt within
the wetlands.
But one of the joys of birding is the chance that the bird may just turn up
again!

I would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who took the time to kindly
fill out the Citrine Wagtail questionnaire. Also thanks to all who noticed my
omission of 'question no. 5' - yes, it was intended to be where you recorded
the date of your visit! Thanks also to all who corrected my typo regarding the
mention if the Grey-headed Lapwing that was sighted at Burren Junction!

I would also like to thank Sue Chatfield for first identifying the bird and
sharing her sighting with the world! You have really helped put this place on
the map!

It was fantastic to see so many enthusiastic birders willing to share intricate
details of their trip to see the wagtail at the Putta Bucca Wetlands in Mudgee.

The wetlands themselves are a real gem, and although artificial, they form a
surrogate habitat for a natural ox-bow/billabong wetland. Sadly such wetlands
were rapidly dammed and ploughed-out during early settlement of the region.
Due to the unique habitat features and the vast amount of biodiversity(notably
birds) the Putta Bucca Wetlands supports, the protection of this unique habitat
area is quite important to the Mudgee region.

The Putta Bucca Wetlands is clearly a valuable tourism asset to Mudgee, and
while a sighting as rare as the Citrine Wagtail may never happen again, the
site will continue to turn up interesting birds and will remain a valuable and
popular birdwatching site in perpetuity. This is under the proviso that the
site remains open to the public, that infrastructure is provided and maintained
for public use (i.e. walking tracks, drop toilets, picnic tables and signage),
and most importantly, that the site is protected from damage and alteration
while being managed appropriately as a 'natural area'.

The 'Watershed Landcare Friends of Putta Bucca Wetlands' understand that an
important part of the process in protecting the Putta Bucca Wetlands (which is
council-owned land) will involve classifying the site as "Community Land" under
the NSW Local Government Act 1993. This means that it will be protected and
reserved for community use and will not be available for use as a commercial or
industrial precinct under its current classification as "operational land"
under the same Act.

The Friends of Putta Bucca wetlands thankyou all for showing your interest and
support in the wetlands and greatly welcome your comments, suggestions or
submissions on the wetlands and their managenent.

If you have any questions or comments on your experience at the Putta Bucca
Wetlands, including what facilities you liked and what facilities are still
required, we would really love your feedback. Please post any feedback on the
following website:

www.Puttabuccawetlands.webs.com

Or email:

Also anyone is welcome to join our group to help protect the wetlands so feel
free to subscribe!

Kind regards,

Kurtis Lindsay

Member of the Watershed Landcare Friends of Putta Bucca Wetlands