birding-aus

Intriguing bird-sound

To: "" <>
Subject: Intriguing bird-sound
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:45:16 +1000
Recently whilst 'tagging' acoustic recordings from Sturt NP from June 2012
I noticed a strange call like a child beating a small drum.
At first I thought that it resembled a Tawny Frogmouth (TAFM) but it
definitely has a 'drum-like' quality which I can't hear on other recordings
of TAFM.

I've put two audio-grabs on my audio website <http://www.aviceda.org/audio/>,
the drumming is present on both and there is a more orthodox bird-sound on
the second which resembles Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo (but I'm sure that
it's not)

Could the call be a buttonquail or (heavens-forbid) a Plains-Wanderer? I've
been through the Xeno-Canto <http://www.xeno-canto.org/>, AVoCet
<http://avocet.zoology.msu.edu/recordings?scientific_name_search=Pedionomus+torquatus&name_search=&Search=Search+Recordings>
and Macauley library
<http://macaulaylibrary.org/search?taxon=Plains-wanderer> websites but
can't find anything that fits,

Have a listen and let me know what you think....

Tom

--
Ian (Tom) Tarrant

Hawthorn East 3123