birding-aus

COMPANY WANTED FOR TRIP TO CHEYNES BEACH NEXT FEBRUARY

Subject: COMPANY WANTED FOR TRIP TO CHEYNES BEACH NEXT FEBRUARY
From: John Weigel via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:32:52 +1000
Hi Patrick,

I was at the caravan park on the weekend with time on my hands due to
cancellation of Albany pelagic. You should tell your boss you feel an extended
flu coming on, as all three species appear to be 'on heat' at the moment,
calling their little hearts out. The extensive areas behind the Park that were
burnt in approx 2006 seem to have reached a point where there are suddenly a
lot of Western Bristlebirds, seemingly randomly spaced, at least three widely
spaced but vigorously calling Scrub-birds, and a busy couple of Western
Whipbirds at the first big gully along the left turn of track heading up hill
(can explain better if you wish). Also another Scrub-bird on the main track,
near the top. The much-loved 'regular' Scrub-bird in from of the Park is still
there and easy to follow, contrary to my report of a few months ago. PS the
whip-birds at Mt Trio (ssp oberon) are in crazy numbers also; I counted six
apparent territories along the (1km?) length of the road to the car park with
birds calling from perches at daybreak and criss-crossing the road. I hadn't
realised the extent of synchronised calls - and managed to photograph some
interesting interactions reminiscent of bowerbirds.

I've been to the park twice in February, and the birds are there, but much more
difficult to see than they are right now. GO!

John Weigel

COMPANY WANTED FOR TRIP TO CHEYNES BEACH NEXT FEBRUARY
from [Patrick Scully via Birding-Aus]   [Permanent Link][Original]