birding-aus

NSW Riverina Trip Report - Cocoparra, Fivebough, Pulletop and Galore Hil

To: Neville Schrader OAM <>
Subject: NSW Riverina Trip Report - Cocoparra, Fivebough, Pulletop and Galore Hill
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 08:09:55 +0000
Really interesting to hear your comments about the Riverina Glossy
Black-Cockatoo Neville, thanks - especially your thought about them being not
be as isolated as some think. It’s been noted that they can move over
considerable distances so, yes, the movement between places such as West
Wyalong and Narrandera is not be out of the equation.

In terms of the Kangaroo Island birds, I’d always thought they were linked to
the east coast birds, around Mallacoota. The reason for their isolation was
loss of habitat along the South Australian and Victorian coast. However, if
they are capable of traveling long distances, perhaps in good years they may
have moved also the river systems, along the Murrumbidgee and the Murray River,
n to coastal SA. I’d be interested to know if there were any historical records
between the Riverina and Kangeroo Island? I can’t find any. I suppse another
option is that they were isolated (along with a number of other species) at the
end of the Pleistocene, approx. 10,000 years ago, when the water levels dropped
in the Murray Basin, changing the landscape in between.

Cheers,

Tim