birding-aus

Pacific Black Duck ID

To: <>
Subject: Pacific Black Duck ID
From: "Els and Bill" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:59:32 +1000

Regarding the previous flurry of emails about hybridising Mallards and Pacific
Black Ducks, I would like to mention that HANZAB does not mention any orange
colouring of legs of Pacific Black Duck.

In my experience in Tasmania, the only orange legs occur on Mallards crossed
with Pacific Black Duck,Chestnut Teal,Grey Teal and Shovelers.

In fact Tasmanian Local Governments bodies contract professionals to remove
these hybrids when they  build up in large numbers where the public feed them,
posing a threat to the native ducks.   One of the main method used for
identification of the native Pacific Black Duck is the brown colour of their
legs.

Els Wakefield.