birding-aus

Bustards in Vic

To: James Mustafa <>
Subject: Bustards in Vic
From: Paul Dodd <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 06:58:05 +0100
Hi James,

It is good that you saw the bustards in Victoria (although not good that you
saw them in your Big Year year - as that was one species Ruth and I didn't get
in our 2010 Big Year).

We subsequently saw them in 2011 in Victoria, after communicating with
landholders in the area that you mentioned over a period of about 3 years. It
took that long to win over their confidence to divulge the location to us and
we had to promise to not publicise the information (although they had no
problem with us either telling individuals or putting those individuals in
touch).

Whilst this may seem like a bit too much cloak and dagger, the reason was
simple. Apparently, there are locals from Nhill and nearby towns who, when
bored, like nothing more than to drink a skinful of beer, grab their guns and
head out to the properties in the area that you mentioned to shoot things -
preferably "bush turkeys".

With that in mind, could we perhaps not publish this information further? By
all means let people know that they can ask you, but not publish it broadly?

Thanks and good luck with the rest of the year!

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria

Sent from my iPhone