birding-aus

Yellow Bittern at North Lakes

Subject: Yellow Bittern at North Lakes
From: Colin R <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 18:30:54 +1000
Well said Nicci

I wasn't there on Friday but I was on Saturday morning from dawn until
8.30am or thereabouts. I hadn't read Ms Gallienne's 'instruction' at
that time, but it was a topic of discussion on site. I later met a
birder offsite who had not gone to North Lakes because of her
'directions'!

My post of Saturday on Eremaea which described the group of birders on
site that morning has been removed. I have requested an explanation for
that.

All in all the birders and photographers who were present on Saturday
morning were, as I said in my 'sighting' report "quiet and respectful'
and the bird/s completely undisturbed - and, I understand from someone
who was present on Friday, a similar situation was experienced that
morning too - as the numerous reports since have also described.
I, too, want to know how Ms Gallienne feels she has the authority to
instruct birders on their behaviour and, or, whether they should visit a
site?

The claims of damaged vegetation, disturbed birds and bad behaviour by
photographers are causing unnecessary grief and recrimination and
driving a split in the birding community in SE Qld - even drawing
comments from people interstate, for God's sake, who aren't here and
don't know the individuals concerned!

If this is really happening - provide proof. Otherwise stop throwing it
around and move on. Life is too short.

Colin

--
  Colin Reid