birding-aus

Ken Simpson

To: "'Birding_Aus'" <>
Subject: Ken Simpson
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 00:01:39 +1000
That is sad. Nice man, though it is a long time since I was with him and he
always seemed to be busy. Ken and I together published a supplement (we
would now call it a flyer) to the Bird Observer in 1976 that encouraged
people to observe what birds do with the total solar eclipse of 23 October
1976. That lead to what is still my biggest publication in the Australian
Bird Watcher - (1982) 'A record of avian and other responses to the total
solar eclipse - 23 October 1976', Australian Bird Watcher 9: 179-209. (The
world's biggest analysis of animal behaviour to a solar eclipse.) and
something I'm still fond of. He helped with the initial editing of this,
although it was his overwork on other things that contributed in part to it
taking so long to appear in print.

One day probably in 1991 I was sitting in the BOCA library researching about
Regent Honeyeater vocal behaviour and by chance, Ken was also sitting there
typing and probably researching text for his Field Guide book. He asked me
for any suggestions and I offered a few little pointers about raptors and
told him of my findings about the vocal mimicry of larger honeyeaters by the
Regent Honeyeater and thus this information went straight into the draft
text of his book, before my article - (1992) 'Vocal mimicry of larger
honeyeaters by the Regent Honeyeater Xanthomyza phrygia', Australian Bird
Watcher 14: 180-189, had appeared.

Philip Veerman
Kambah  ACT  2902

-----Original Message-----From: Birding-Aus