birding-aus

Pacific Black Duck - Mallard hybrids

To: Kev Lobotomi <>, Peter Menkhorst <>, Mike Carter <>, 'Nikolas Haass' <>, 'Jim Tate' <>, 'Russell Woodford' <>, "" <>
Subject: Pacific Black Duck - Mallard hybrids
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 15:21:01 +1000
Just a small addition to this discussion - particularly the record Nikolas
contributed:

I have undertaken close to 50 Atlas surveys at Warriewood (Sydney Northern
Beaches NSW) in recent years and while pure Mallards are occasionally on the
Warriewood Wetlands reserve and the settlement ponds, they seem to be much more
common and resident along Mullet Creek between the Wetlands and Narrabeen
Lagoon. These appear to be pure Mallards, generally paired.
There are of course plenty of Pacific Blacks on both the Wetlands and the Creek
so the opportunities for an enthusiastic Mallard Drake are plentiful!
I have certainly recorded what I considered to be good hybrids. Mind you there
are other mixed feral hybrids occasionally which could confuse the issue
(Muscovy, Chinese Whites, Khaki Campbell etc). They could certainly do with a
clean out.

Best to all
Graeme Stevens