birding-aus

A Big Year

To: <>
Subject: A Big Year
From: "Tim Faulkner, Operations Manager Australian Reptile Park & Devil Ark" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 09:01:38 +1000
Hello All,

 As those of you who are interested in such things will probably know, my
lunatic boss John Weigel is using the 'Big Year' concept as an excuse for a
repeat of his 2012 year of non-stop birding. What you mightn't know is that
he's proving to be even more of a lunatic this time around, and at the
6-month mark has already seen 703 species - nearly 50 ahead of his 2012
pace, when he finished up seeing a record 745 species. Sandy Komito's
longstanding US Big Year record of 745 US species fell last year by one, to
a fellow who 'had to' commit to spending 192 nights away from home. So far
this year John has had five nights at home, with most nights in a tent,
solo. Hence I'm, no longer skeptical about his 'ridiculous' forecast of 760
species for 2014, but this will depend upon good luck at Ashmore Reef in
October and Christmas/Cocos in November. I'm planning on being on the
Ashmore trip with John, along a couple of our other birding mates. I know
from John's slide-shows how incredible the sea-birding and island birding
will be if we can get this trip off the ground (imagine 35,000 Roseate
Terns). However, the trip now depends upon enlisting three more participants
to become a viable proposition. So if anyone out there wants to not only
have an incredible adventure, but to help John (and I!) get out to those
incredible Ashmore Islands, please check out the blurb on George Swan's
website at  <http://kimberleybirdwatching.com.au/ashmore-reef-october-2014/>
http://kimberleybirdwatching.com.au/ashmore-reef-october-2014/

 Regards,

Tim Faulkner