birding-aus

Duck

To: Jim Tate <>, Kev Lobotomi <>, Russell Woodford <>, "" <>
Subject: Duck
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:44:29 +0000
Hi,

Why N America and not Europe or N Asia? I don't remember a difference between
Gadwalls across these continents regarding their speculum pattern?
Overall jizz, head shape, facial pattern, bill colour, bill shape and speculum
pattern don't match that of a Gadwall but rather match that of the Mallard
complex. Gadwall has a sharply defined black and white speculum very unlike
that of the hybrid mutant monster in question. Thus, I don't think that Gadwall
is part of this mix. Having said this, it is well documented in the literature
that the off spring of two duck species (I.e. Tufted Duck x Common Pochard can
look like Lesser Scaup plus many more examples; see Randler 2001 or Gillham &
Gillham 1996) can look much more similar to a third species than to either of
the parents. This certainly complicates the ID of hybrid waterfowl.
Anyway, I am pretty sure that this bird is a human-influenced mutant on top of
the hybridisation issue. Therefore my ID 'barnyard-type" Pacific Black Duck x
Mallard hybrid.

Cheers,

Nikolas

A/Prof Nikolas Haass | Head, Experimental Melanoma Therapy Group

The University of Queensland Diamantina Institute
Level 6 | Translational Research Institute | 37 Kent Street | Woolloongabba QLD
4102

T: +61 (0)7 3443 7087 | M: +61 (0)424 603 579
F: +61 (0)7 3443 6966
E:   | W: www.di.uq.edu.au<http://www.di.uq.edu.au/>

[cid:<http://www.di.uq.edu.au/>
...Turning scientific discoveries into better treatments…

CRICOS Code 00025B

This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private or
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, you must take
no action based on it, nor show a copy to anyone. Kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Opinions and information in this email which do not relate to the
official business of The University of Queensland shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by the University