birding-aus

Emu at Corindi (NSW North Coast)

To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Emu at Corindi (NSW North Coast)
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 08:09:28 +1000
Yeah, g'day Russell,
Greg Clancy will be the best person to respond to your sighting of an Emu at
Corindi, and the southern range of Yuraygir National Park.  Our southern-most
sighting years ago was still north of the Red Rock River but that is not far
north of Corindi.

In the northern part of their range, they move from the Yuraygir National Park
coast as far west as the Pacific Highway and Clarence River, but our
observations for the last eight months have been well down.  Normally we would
see them quite regularly along the Sandon Road and the Brooms Head Road into
Maclean.  This year, we have seen about five in just a couple of groups and
there seems to have been a sudden drop in numbers.

On the Brooms Head road one particular cane farm that was regularly frequented
has been lost to them as a result of fencing, and I suspect that increased
habitation and fencing has contributed to the reduced number of sightings.
Hopefully they have retreated into the bush.
Road kill has been an ongoing problem.  The reconstruction of the Pacific
Highway (route not as yet settled) threatens to cut them off from the western
part of their range.

Peter and Bev Morgan

The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.