birding-aus

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
Date: 16 Jun 2014 03:01:13 +1000

Birdline Australian Capital Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Jun 2014.

Thu 12 Jun Australian Little Bittern McKellar Wetland
Following yesterday's reports, Stanley Tang from Queensland and I spent several hours this afternoon camped out by the wetland. No action at all, until about 3.45, when the Little Bittern erupted from the reeds and took a short flight across the pond. We dashed around to the other side of the pond (right next to the two black trees, one of which is forked) and confronted the bird, who was sitting pretty much in the open. Great views from 2-3m away, for about a minute before he took off deeper into the reeds. We also saw him fly again as we were leaving, just as some other birders were arriving...
Julian Teh, Meredith Thomas, Stanley Tang

Wed 11 Jun Australian Little Bittern McKellar Wetland
After reading a sighting by Roger Williams, arrived at the pond just before dark. Little bittern flushed from William Slim side & landed near dead tree in centre of pond, giving great views for 10 minutes before it disappeared into reeds.
Scott Ryan

Tue 10 Jun Australasian Bittern McKellar Wetland
With a couple of other observers, including Anthony Overs. Walked around the pond where it was seen earlier in the day by a few observers, but it wasn't showing. I flushed it by accident, as yesterday, and we got FANTASTIC views down the scope as it stood right out in the open for about a minute, before wandering into the reeds. Distant, but clearly identifiable photos obtained!! I suspect the bird will hang around for a while - but may take some finding in the reeds, and some patience before he moves/is flushed.
Julian Teh & others

Mon 9 Jun Australasian Bittern Giralang Pond
As originally reported on the COG Chatline by Duncan McCaskill, 1 Australasian Bittern flushed from in front of me as I walked along the edge of the reedbed. It flew down the creek, and after a short time I managed to relocate it as it flew across William Slim and into the small (much prettier) pond across the road. I was unable to relocate it in the reeds there, as I suspect it landed in the denser patches (and it was 99% dark by then). I first saw it here: -35.215767, 149.086125 And it flew to the pond here: -35.216100, 149.082821 Thanks to Duncan for reporting it to the chatline so punctually!!
Julian Teh

Australasian Bittern Ginninderra Creek, between Giralang Pond and Baldwin Drive

Duncan McCaskill

Birdline Australian Capital Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.