birding-aus

More interesting albatross...

To: Nikolas Haass <>, Rowan Mott <>, "" <>, Jeff Davies <>
Subject: More interesting albatross...
From: Kev Lobotomi <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 22:57:52 +1000
Hi guys
Certainly an interesting juvenile bird. I think these birds are hard to
separate at this age, this one does look interesting though. One thing I've
noticed, that could be interesting that Jeff or someone might be able to
comment on is the bill shape and colour. Salvin's has a more slender bill than
Shy & I've noticed in the few photos I've looked at of immature & possibly
juvenile Salvin's is their bill looks more slender in profile. Another thing
which could be very useful, but could be very dependant on how old the bird is,
is the colour of the bill. Young Salvin's still seems to have darker sides to
the bill, which contrast more with the top of the culmen, a bit like an adult,
but not so obvious. Can someone perhaps confirm, or deny this?-Kevin Bartram