birding-aus

FW: Strange Petrel

To: martin cachard <>, Nikolas Haass <>, "" <>
Subject: FW: Strange Petrel
From: Kev Lobotomi <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:09:14 +1000
Hey All
Having a bit of a look through the different Pterodromas, there aren't that
many that are all dark with a dark underwing & a whitish face. Underwing
pattern alone rules out Herald, Soft-plumaged & Kermedec. Basically there are 2
species left which fit this description: (1) Grey-faced Petrel, which would be
extremely unusual for the north Pacific & doesn't jizz out right for this bird
anyway. Additionally the upperparts look greyish with a hint of an M marking,
the bill is quite small & not at all obvious like in a Great-winged. On the
other hand the second species Murphy's Petrel has a smallish bill, greyish
upperparts with slight M & the photos I've looked at look quite similar to the
bird in this photo, also including the slightly paler bases to the primaries.
Murphy's Petrel is also know to winter in the North Pacific. So I'm laying my
money on Murphy's.-Kevin Bartram