birding-aus

Sedentary v resident

To: Steve Clark <>
Subject: Sedentary v resident
From: Joseph Morlan <>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 07:34:29 -0700
On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 10:58:38 +1000, Steve Clark <>
wrote:

>Resident: most individuals non-migratory though some may move long distances
>Sedentary: most individuals not normally moving more than 50 km.
>
>Would someone please explain the distinction with examples?

HANZAB has it almost right.  Sedentary means that virtually all individuals
stay in their local area their whole lives. Non-migratory is a synonym.

Resident means that the species is present year-round in a given area, but
that the species may be migratory or partially migratory.  Thus the birds
present in an area in one season are not necessarily the same individuals
in that area in another season.  Resident species may be sedentary, but
sedentary species must be resident.

The terms "Summer Resident" and "Winter Resident" are oxymorons.  A species
can no more be a Summer Resident, than it can be a "Spring Resident" during
a period of migration.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt