birding-aus

Aurora Alert (slightly off-topic)

To: Carl Clifford <>, Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Aurora Alert (slightly off-topic)
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 15:52:10 +1000
Hi folks,

Indeed it is possible to see an aurora in NSW. A beautiful aurora was photographed from Kiama on 20th February this year. If you do a Google search for "aurora australis photo kiama" you'll find the photos and video on various social media and news sites (and I've just noticed the video is also at the bottom of the page that Russell linked to).

On 30th April this year the aurora alerts started coming in so, inspired by seeing the Kiama photos, I headed out onto a dark Kings Tableland with my camera and tripod and managed to photograph a very faint aurora. This was in the NSW Blue Mountains! It was not visible to the naked eye but the photos (30 second exposure) revealed a faint pink glow low in the southern sky. That's the closest I've ever come to seeing one so far, but seeing one properly is definitely on my bucket list - as much as any bird! And to tie all this back to birding, while I was there I heard a Boobook, Owlet-nightjar and Powerful Owl calling (the latter echoing up from the Jamison Valley).

Cheers,

Carol