birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 19 May 2014 03:02:27 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 18 May 2014.

Sun 18 May Square-tailed Kite Lindum Wetlands
1 flying over the road just south of the wetland. When we arrived at the wetland and set up to view from the road, there were 2 (well known) photographers who'd climbed over the fence, and walked 70-80m across the grassland standing on the edge of the lagoon where I'd previously seen many small waders (on other days)! Unsurprisingly, the birds that were there were all distant. I'm unsure of access to this area (they assured me it is free access and that how everyone has been getting such good photos - but I suspect this is not true) but it is not putting bird welfare first and is clearly not taking account of proper birdwatchers who's main priority in not getting photographs at any cost. It's clearly concerning for the moderators that information we release leads to thoughtless disturbance.
Rob Morris and Andy Jenson

Musk Lorikeet Minnippi Parklands, Tingalpa
1-2 birds seen in flowering trees near bridge over Bulimba creek, 1st site record that i'm aware of.Also 1 Peregrine over.
Stuart Pickering, Sheryl & Arthur Keates, Colin Reid

Sat 17 May Black-bellied & White-faced Storm Petrels, Kermadec and Tahiti Petrels Southport Pelagic
20+ Black-bellieds, 15 White-faced and many Wilson's Storm Petrels;4 Kermadecs, 2 Tahitis, a few Great-winged (gouldi) and many Providence Petrels; 1 adult Brown Booby.
Rob Morris and all on board the Southport Pelagic organised by Paul Walbridge

White-eared Monarch Golds Scrub Lane, Samsonvale
One bird seen between the road and the big fig tree.
Rick Franks & Felicia Chan

Little Black Cormorant Dowse Lagoon, Sandgate
525 birds resting in 3 groups across the lagoon, pretty big numbers for here, the most I've seen. The majority of them took off en masse on dark and headed south, 400+ in the photo.
Ged Tranter & Rick Franks

Square-tailed Kite, Little Eagle Gympie (Northern edge of town)
Square-tailed Kite is a regular Autumn/Winter visitor. Little Eagle has also been sighted previously at this time of year
Anne Burgess

Rose-crowned Fruit-dove Gold Creek Reservoir
One female over the road, in lower mid-storey, near the last creek crossing. Bit of a surprise this late in the year?
Russell Yong, C. Archibald, C. Levy & N. Auerbach

Fri 16 May Ruff Lindum Wetlands
Ruff still there feeding with a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and 3 Marsh Sandpipers but no Pectoral Sandpiper. (Sorry I put the wrong date on my first post).
Barry Davies

Thu 15 May Ruff Lindum Wetlands
Ruff still there feeding with a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and 3 Marsh Sandpipers but no Pectoral Sandpiper.
Barry Davies

Little Eagle, White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike Sandy Camp Road Wetlands Reserve
A dark morph Little Eagle was seen circling around the reserve for about 10 minutes. Also saw a passing flock of Little Lorikeets and a White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike, both species that we have not seen previously at this site. The Ruff and Pectoral Sandpiper were viewed easily at the Kianawah Road wetlands, moving around and feeding persistently with two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, as reported previously. A great morning of birding.
Bill and Lindsay Popple

Black Falcon Bremer Rd Wetland, Jeebropilly
Large and bold bird swooped in over wetland and scared many waterfowl into flight. It gave a half-hearted chase to a Cattle Egret, which evaded capture by flying through a pair of White-bellied Sea-Eagles that had suddenly appeared. The Falcon lost its focus on the Egret, looped around the Eagles, and then flew back in the direction it had came from.
Christian Perrin

Wed 14 May Pectoral Sandpiper, Ruff & Co. Lindum Wetlands
The Ruff (Reeve) & Pectoral Sand both still present.
Nikolas Haass & Raja Stephenson

Tue 13 May Ruff, Pectoral Sandpiper Lindum Wetlands
Both birds present in west pond with two sharp tailed Sandpipers 10am. Returned to west pond 1:30, Ruff still present but no sign of Pectoral.
Geoff Walker

Pectoral Sandpiper, Ruff Lindum Wetlands
both birds reported again today. see: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18360317
Chris Wiley via eBird (Rob Morris)

Mon 12 May Eastern Bristle-bird, Glossy Black Cockatoo Spicers Gap, Main Range National Park
EBB was calling strongly at 1145. Pair of Glossys feeding over the road nearby [in Forest Oaks Allocasuarina torulosa].p
Rob Elvish

Pacific baza Mt Coot-Tha Forest
Flying low in gumtrees. Being attacked by Noisy Minors and a butcherbird
Finn

Pectoral Sandpiper, Ruff Lindum Wetlands
Found a Pectoral Sandpiper almost alongside the Ruff (Reeve) on the Kianawah Rd side of wetlands at around 2.15pm. Very yellow legs and base to bill, obvious "breastplate", stockier/heavier build than surrounding Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. Often in same field of view as Reeve, but preferred to isolate itself. Watched for 45 minutes before it flew to other side of electric fence, behind mangroves on battery farm side. Hoping it re-emerges for a photo...
Andrew Stafford

Lewin's honeyeater (albino) Upper Kedron (Hills)
There are a pair of Lewin's Honeyeaters in the garden on my acerage property. They see3m to be resident, one is completely pale yellow and appears to be an albino. Are albino or (lutino) type Lwein's honeyeaters common?
Naoko Baulch

Musk Lorikeet St Lucia (including The University of Queensland)
Walking to work this morning at about 8:15, heard the distinctly high, tinklier call of a Musk Lorikeet through the cacophony of feeding Rainbows and Scaly-breasts near the St Leo's College, by the main lake. Saw two birds take flight that were distinctly smaller than Scaly-breasts, shorter in tail and greener overall. This would be the first time in almost five years I have heard or seen Musks on UQ.
Russell Yong

Sun 11 May Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration, Rainbow Bee-eater, Mistletoebird East Brisbane
Steady flow of migrating Yellow-faced Honeyeaters today over East Brisbane. Up to 30 individuals/flock migrating (conservative estimate of >300 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters in total, likely much higher total number). Migration direction SW in the morning but almost random in the afternoon with flocks flying SW, W, NW and NE. Also of interest, one Mistletoebird flew WNW at noon, at least one Rainbow Bee-eater called at 2 pm and a Pale-headed Rosella visited briefly late morning (the latter an irregular visitor to our place).
Nikolas Haass & Raja Stephenson

Sat 10 May Masked Owl, Sooty Owl Connondale national park
Masked owl ( 2 ) and Sooty Owl (2) both spotlighted along with Southern Boobook (3) and Tawny Frogmouth (4). Also of note, a roosting Grey Goshawk and 5 Greater Gliders.
Tim Siggs

Peregrine Falcon The University of Queensland, St Lucia
Working on top floor of office building at about 2pm, looked out to see a large chunky falcon flying high over the uni buildings. The profile had the distinctive angular, slightly backswept wings of a Peregrine, distant views through a shonky pair of spare binoculars appeared to confirm a dark head, pale cere and barred underside, all hallmarks of this species. Bird circled twice over the campus before making two long passes at speed towards northwest where it disappeared from view. There are sporadic sightings of Peregrines in and around Bris inner city, but this is the first time I have seen one in the vicinity of the uni.
Russell Yong

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Southern Queensland and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.