birding-aus

Bird Photography

To: Ian May <>
Subject: Bird Photography
From: "Valentine, Peter" <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 01:03:24 +0000
G'day Ian,
Queensland introduced the idea twenty years ago but in the end confined it to
commercial photographers.  see this link for current information:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/managing/commercial-activities/filming.html

In principle it makes sense as cost recovery (if costs could be identified and
rectified) but probably unlikely that is what would happen - more likely it
becomes another source of revenue. Maybe reasonable also, especially in poorer
countries being visited by wealthy tourists to whom the extra cost is
relatively small. It might generate more positive attitudes to photographers in
protected areas in that case - as a source of revenue. It may also be a
mechanism to convey the idea of ethical photography as part of the process -
trying to encourage good photographic practices. It seems likely that in most
protected areas tourists today would have a camera with them (at the very least
on their phone) and that increasingly digital SLRs are very common.

Personally I would not object. It could be seen as a little like the
environmental management charged to all commercial visitors to the Great
Barrier Reef, the funds being used to improve management. I would support its
use if linked to a strong emphasis on bird photography ethics.

Peter Valentine

On 17/05/2014, at 10:10 PM, Ian May
<<>>
 wrote:

g'Day all

During a recent discussion with a friend about bird photography in South East
Asia, I was informed that in some countries, particularly Malaysia that they
now charge a levy per camera on bird photographers entering Nature Reserves.
My first thought was, "That is ludicrous, that country is off the visit list".
Before I protest too much however I would like to find out more from the wise
members of the list (birding-aus).  Has anyone heard of this?   What do others
think about it?    If such a charge exists, is there any justification?

Regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania