birding-aus

Sydney Pelagic Trip (Non) Report

To: "birding-aus " <>
Subject: Sydney Pelagic Trip (Non) Report
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 16:29:15 +1000
Well what a day for the Sydney pelagic trip! After a strong blow earlier in
the week, the sea had settled right down, Buller's Albatross and Fairy
Prions had been reported from North Head and we were blessed with one of
those magical autumn dawns that only Sydney Harbour can put on .

And so it was with much anticipation that we left Rose Bay Wharf with 18
eager passengers. However, only a short distance from Rose Bay, we saw thick
exhaust smoke coming out of the starboard engine scuppers and closer
inspection revealed that the brand new exhaust manifold fitted just this
week had sheared two bolts and was discharging into the engine well. Despite
gallant efforts by the skipper and our deckie (David James), all attempts at
a repair failed although we made it as far as South Head before the damage
became terminal and the trip was abandoned.

After a very wet and miserable trip in February and April's trip being
cancelled due to severe weather, this was all a bit hard to take! The next
trip is scheduled for SUNDAY 15th June and we must be due for an absolute
ripper of a pelagic after this run of bad luck. Please e-mail Hal Epstein at
 or me to make a booking for the June trip - the boat
departs Cremorne Point Wharf at 6.45am and Rose Bay wharf at 7.00am.

Cheers

Roger McGovern