birding-aus

Helmeted Friarbird face patch

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Helmeted Friarbird face patch
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 11:03:01 +1000
Hi Folks,
Whilst down in Cairns over the weekend we took a photo of a juvenile/immature Helmeted Friarbird, which had a bare patch around the eye extending to the bill, it is symmetrical, not patchy. Can find no reference to this in any of our reference books. It maybe a feature of some stage of juvenile/immature birds but also maybe aberrant plumage in this bird. Has anyone else seen this feature? A photo has been posted on our blog, which unfortunately has some of the face obscured by a shadow, but you can see most of it.

http://kingfisherparkbirdwatchers.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Keith & Lindsay.

--