birding-aus

Bird-a-Day

To: birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: Bird-a-Day
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 06:18:16 +1000
I hope John Harris has found some birds to keep his Bird-a-Day project
going into May.  When I started to participate in the game my hope was for
Australian birds to keep me going until late April, when an overseas trip
would provide species to occupy most of May.  That trip hasn't happened but
a voyage to Adelaide has provided a few goodies to mean that I'm still
going, with some hope of getting through May.

The best bird on the Adelaide trip was Elegant Parrot, a lifer, of which a
flock of up to 20 birds were seen on each of the 3 days we visited the
cliff tops of Maslins Beach.

On some days, especially the longer drives, only one candidate was able to
be spotted whereas on others I was embarrassed for choice.  This is
situation normal.

On the drive back about 40 Emus were present in several small groups over
the first 50km East of Balranald and surprisingly were mainly on the
Northern side of the road rather than the South side where we usually spot
them.  Although there was a fair amount of roadkill around I didn't record
a Black Kite on the Hay Plain nor an Apostlebird on any of the roadsides
where we usually see them.  Pied Butcherbirds, Black-shouldered Kites and
Kestrels were also thinner on the fence posts than I expected.  (Perhaps
the addition of a camper-trailer to my car meant I was focusing more on my
driving than birding?)

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/