birding-aus

Field guides for Kenya and Madagascar

To: Sonja Ross <>, "" <>
Subject: Field guides for Kenya and Madagascar
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:08:30 +1000
G’day Sonja

The "Birds of East Africa" by Stevenson and Fanshawe is the standard guide I
believe.  It is not perfect but mostly fine.  It is also available as an
iPhone/iPad app.  There is another book that covers Kenya and northern Tanzania
but I haven’t seen it.  My favourite however is "Birds of Africa South of the
Sahara" by Sinclair and Ryan.  It is more up to date than S&F.

I would take S&F on your iphone/ipada and the S&R book.

For Madagascar I’m only aware of “Birds of the Indian Ocean Islands” by
Sinclair and Langrand.  I think there was recently a new edition.  Mine was
published in 2003.  It is a nice small field guide.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic