birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 14 Apr 2014 03:01:38 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Apr 2014.

Sun 6 Apr South Polar Skua, intermediate morph (subject to BARC submission) Port MacDonnell Pelagic, South Australia
A skua was seen in the morning shortly after reaching the shelf. I called it straight away as SPS. It flew past close to the boat & then flew off. Plenty of photos taken of it side on, not many from above, but showed a distinct buffy collar which contrasted with the dark brown upperparts & underparts. Ground colour to body had a dark buffy (right for South Polar), rather than a chocolate hue (as in Brown Skua). Bill looks long, but this seems right for SPS pictures I've looked through, it didn't seem deep enough for a Brown Skua. Further discussion needed to confirm ID, but at this stage we're fairly confident of it's ID.
Kevin Bartram, Colin Rogers, John Cox and rest of observers aboard the vessel.

Sat 5 Apr Regent Honeyeater Hopetoun Rd (Rutherglen) , Victoria
The most amazing and lucky sighting of this species I have ever had. While slowly driving past the Wicked Virgin olive grove along Hopetoun Rd north of Rutherglen I noticed a mobile friarbird flock in some roadside trees. Amazingly a Regent flew out in front of the car hawked some insects and flew back into some ash trees. The bird was then observed for over 10 minutes and continued to hawk insects and associate with the friarbirds. Not in it's usual habitat around Chiltern, this bird must be moving around with mobile friarbirds flocks which were quite prevalent around Rutherglen today. Not banded, appeared to be an adult male. Photo thanks to Vic Duncombe.
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Fri 4 Apr South Polar Skua (Subject to submission to BARC) Lord Howe Island, New South Wales
1 pale-ish intermediate morph South Polar Skua halfway between LHI and Ball's Pyramid. Also White-bellied Storm-Petrels, Little Shearwater, Kermadec Petrels and a White-necked Petrel the following day. [Moderator's note (NH): Sightings of South Polar Skuas should be submitted to BARC]
Tobias Hayashi

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.