birding-aus

NT Hoopoe

To: Mike Carter <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: NT Hoopoe
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 04:13:37 +0000
Thanks Mike and others who replied.

I've just written a short article on this Hoopoe, so I was curious that the new
photo showed a bird that lacked white in the crest. The more I look it seems
obvious that there's a broad pale subterminal crest band - as you've just
indicated. I was simply noticing the lack of pure white, rather than the lack
of band at all.

This bird also now seems rather dull (in terms of colour!) compared to my first
views, lacking the vibrancy and darker colours reported in U. e. africana.
Perhaps a saturation issue between different computers, saturating saturata, so
to speak, but far more likely just my mind playing tricks. There was a
suggestion that it might be either U.e.epops or U.e.saturata, so interested to
know what BARC comes up with.

Cheers,

Tim