birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 3 Mar 2014 03:02:49 +1000

Birdline New South Wales

Published sightings for the week ending 2 Mar 2014.

Fri 28 Feb Spangled Drongo Vale of Ah Reserve, Milperra
3 Spangled Drongo at Vale of Ah this morning brings my cumulative total to 14 Drongos in Milperra on 7 separate days since 5 Feb.
David James

Thu 27 Feb Long-tailed Jaeger and Black-browed Albatross Mistral Point, Maroubra
Moderate southerlies this afternoon produced : 1 Long-tailed Jaeger, 2 Arctic Jaeger, 7 Pomarine Jaeger, 1 Black-browed Albatross and only small numbers of commoner Shearwaters. There seems to be a lot of birds 'missing' at the moment.
David Mitford

Ruff, Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Glossy Ibis Pitt Town Lagoon
1 Ruff, 50+ Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 6 Glossy Ibis
keith brandwood

Freckled Ducks Pitt Town Ferry Road Lagoon Wilberforce
there were 43 Freckled Ducks at this lagoon
keith Brandwood

Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, Wonga Pigeon Pearl Beach
Good sightings in the early evening. (2) Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos and (3) Glossy Black-Cockatoo flying over head calling. Sulphur-crested Cockatoos nearby too. Wonga Pigeon walking at the end of Amethyst Street (1-2 Wonga's have been there for 4-5 months). A couple of Superb Lyrebirds also very active calling (and have been for the last 6-7 weeks).
Charles Hunter

Noisy Pitta, White-headed Pigeon, Wonga Pigeon, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, et al Strickland S.F.
An exciting first bird sighting in Strickland S.F. this morning when I arrived on an overcast morning at 9am. A Noisy Pitta showing and calling well living up to its Latin name (Pitta versicolor), poor photo attached. This is the furthest south I have seen a NP, previously Nightcap N.P. for me. Some good birds seen including White-headed Pigeon, Wonga Pigeon, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Grey Fantail, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Eastern Whipbird, Eastern Yellow Robin, Large-billed Scrubwren, et al. [Moderator's note (NH): Noisy Pitta is frequently seen as far south as the Illawarra]
Charles Hunter

Freckled Duck, Collared Sparrowhawk, Brown Goshawk Eastlakes Golf Course
A single Freckled Duck on the/a pond north of Cowper Ave. Both Collared Sparrowhawk and Brown Goshawk around, but no real surprises.
Ted Nixon

Wed 26 Feb Cotton Pygmy-Goose (subject to submission to NSW ORAC) Lake Harrison, Geneva -Kyogle
5 Cotton Pygmy-Geese at the southern end after a long period with none. 1 Latham's Snipe also. [Moderator's note (NH): Last year August through September there was a male Cotton Pygmy-Goose at this site. This new record is only the sixth in NSW since 2007 according to Birdline NSW. Sightings of Cotton Pygmy-Geese should be submitted to NSW ORAC.]
Rob Elvish

Black-shouldered Kite Warriewood Wetlands
Observed a single Black-shouldered Kite hunting for 5 minutes over a paddock next to garden and orchard street. It then flew over shearwater estate and I lost sight of it. This is only the second time I have seen Black-shouldered Kite in Warriewood.
Jayden Walsh

Leaden Flycatcher Koonadan Historic Site, Leeton
A single female Leaden Flycatcher at close range. A very rare visitor to our area.
Max O'Sullivan

Plumed Whistling-Duck Bevian Road Wetland Tomakin South Coast NSW
Visited this wetland late this morning after reading a report from Ted Wnorowski last December. It is a good active wetland and we counted 45+ Plumed Whistling-Ducks along with numerous regular water birds
Julie and Werner Neumann

Tue 25 Feb Wandering Tattler Soldiers Point, Norah Head
Just after low tide (1pm) two tattlers were photographed that I later found were Wandering Tattlers. There was also small numbers of Curlew Sandpipers, Ruddy Turnstone, 4 Double-banded Plover, Red-necked Stints and a single Pacific Golden Plover. 25 Little Tern with the usual Crested Terns were also seen on the rocks on my return. NOTE - Alan Morris has the exact number of birds & species seen.
Steve Merrett

Spotted Harrier, Swamp Harrier, Whistling Kite, Peregrine Falcon Berrima Road Wetlands, Moss Vale
Spotted Harrier, Swamp Harrier, Whistling Kite and Peregrine Falcon (one each) observed from the farm access road near the dam. Observed on the dam (private property) and visible from road were Australian Shelducks, Australasian Shovelers, Pink-eared Ducks, Red-kneed and Black-fronted Dotterels. 34 species in total.
Christine Kelly, Peter Dewey and Terry Dunlea

Little Lorikeet, Crested Shrike-tit, Bar-shouldered Dove Riverside Park, Riverside Rd, Chipping Norton
Two Little Lorikeets present by the Georges River, though no flowering eucalypts for them. A single male Crested Shrike-tit in secondary eucalypt plantantion. One Bar-shouldered Dove was my first in the area.
David James

Pectoral Sandpiper Stockton Sandspit, Newcastle
Single Pectoral Sandpiper seen amongst numerous other shorebirds this morning. Some good counts were 134 Red-necked Stints, 65 Curlew Sandpipers (including a few birds in ~50% breeding plumage) and 71 Little Terns (many juvs). 2 Striated Herons seen flying together.
Mick Roderick

Mon 24 Feb Spangled Drongo Sydney Olympic Park
Must be Drongo season. At exactly the same location as a week ago - in the casurinas between the big grassy hill (with bike path over the top) and the fenced-off part of the Armory. Three Spangled Drongos this time.
Dave Langley and Anita Mudge

Spangled Drongo Nielsen Park Vaucluse
Single Spangled Drongo in the wooded area sitting low in a dried tree
Marie Lister

Pacific Baza 10 Dilkera Close, Hornsby
One adult Pacific Baza.
Amanda Taurins

Little Lorikeets Woodfield Ave, Bundeena
12 Little Lorikeets flying over my yard this morning around 9.00am.
Deryk Engel

Sun 23 Feb Double-banded Plover Windang
A single Double-banded Plover was seen sitting on the rock together with many Red-capped Plovers.
Stanley Tang & Jill Molan

Kermadec, White-necked and Gould's Petrels Pelagic off Port Stephens
The highlights of the Port Stephens pelagic were an intermediate phase Kermadec Petrel, a White-necked Petrel and at least 5 Gould's Petrels. Three Grey-faced Petrels rounded out a four-pterodroma day (much to the delight of the organiser!).
Mick and Steve Roderick and others aboard the MV Argonaut

White-throated Needletail, Brown Cuckoo-dove, Noisy Friarbird, Superb Lyrebird Elenora Conference Centre, Elenora Heights
300-400 White-throated Needletails were observed at around 9am flying south in a long stream, on very little wind. They were moving very slowly, flapping a fair amount but also gliding up and diving to propel themselves. I haven't observed any large flocks south of Port Stephens this year so this may be a useful record. I'll email all the details to Prof. Tarburton soon. A single White-throated Needletail was observed the day before. A Noisy Friarbird was seen at around the same time as the large flock on a small amount of blossom near the top of Irrawong Reserve, and Brown Cuckoo-Dove (1) and Superb Lyrebird (2+) were heard, the lyrebird briefly seen in the same area. Swamp Wallaby and a Bandicoot species (the latter only reported to me by others) were also present.
Simon Gorta

White-throated Needletail Bellambi Lagoon, north of Wollongong
During the regular atlassing survey of this site by Illawarra Birders, at least 60 WTNTs were sighted heading north.
Illawarra Birders

Lewin's Honeyeater, Crimson Rosella, Eastern Rosella, Australian King-Parrot Waitara Creek, Normanhurst
A small stretch of bushland between Avery St and Normanhurst Park (Harris St), home to many parrots and small birds species. In the half hour I ducked down there I saw Brown Thornbills, White-browed Scrubwrens, Silvereyes, Eastern Yellow Robin and spotted for the first time (round this area) a Lewin's Honeyeater perching on a small low branch and repeatedly diving in a shallow pool for a bath. On my way out I saw a pair of Crimson Rosellas, 4 Laughing Kookaburras (who were laughing on and off all afternoon while I was around) a group of 8 Eastern Rosellas which flew into a tree then moved quickly on towards Hornsby. The Australian King-Parrots flew over while I was walking along Avery St.
Richard Hardiman

Sat 22 Feb Regent Bowerbird Ourimbah RTA Reserve
3 Regent Bowerbirds; 1 fledgling being fed by mother and another immature bird. Good to see they are breeding at this site. Also saw a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles.
Jenny and Rod Stiles

White-throated Needletail and Fork-tailed Swift Anzac Parade, Little Bay
First flock around 25 White-throated Needletails, low then gained height and flew North. Second flock of about 50 White-throated Needletails hawking insects over nearby allotments at Chifley, only saw 1 Fork-tailed Swift with them, but I suspect there may have been more.
David Mitford

Beautiful Firetails, Noisy Friarbirds, Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters Waterfall NSW - Heathcote
Spotted and photographed (badly) two groups of Beautiful Firetails, the first was on the town side of Lake Tolooma at Waterfall the second was at heathcote down the end of the Mirang Rd Firetrail just up from the Pipeline. There were many Red-browed Firetails in the same vicinity. The Noisy Friarbirds were on the Coutts trail. After Lake Tolooma along the track there were many many Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters. Sadly also there was a blind Swamp Wallaby near the Kingfisher pools camping area which has been reported to the NP&W.
Richard Hardiman

Fri 21 Feb Wedge-tailed Eagle, Australian Hobby, Whistling Kite, Swamp Harrier Cornwallis, corner Cupitts Lane/Cornwallis Road
Wedge-tailed Eagles 2, Australian Hobby 1, Whistling Kite 1, Swamp Harrier 1
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Thu 20 Feb Turquoise Parrot Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
A single young Turquoise Parrot was observed foraging on the track near the intersection between Flying Fox Path & Cook's Nose initially by Max de Beer. Stanley Tang and Jill Molan saw the same bird again about an hour later at the same location.
Max de Beer, Stanley Tang & Jill Molan

Brush Bronzewing, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Flame Robin, Scarlet Robin Budderoo National Park (Budderoo Fire Trail)
A single Brush Bronzewing was seen on the track near the first patch of woodlands in the morning. A pair of Buff-rumped Thornbills were seen foraging in the first patch of woodlands where a pair of Flame Robins and a male Scarlet Robin were also observed.
Stanley Tang & Jill Molan

Birdline New South Wales is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.