birding-aus

Fw: Collared Kingfisher in Central Tablelands?

To: <>
Subject: Fw: Collared Kingfisher in Central Tablelands?
From: "John McLaren" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:53:20 +1100

-----Original Message----- From: John McLaren
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:43 PM
To: Tim Dolby
Subject: Collared Kingfisher in Central Tablelands?

Thanks, Tim,

I was just beginning to reach the same conclusion.

I'm new to this, but very interested. It's great to have freely offered and
authoritative advice such as yours :)

Regards,

John

-----Original Message----- From: Tim Dolby
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:34 PM
To: John McLaren

My pleasure John.

The photographs were actually very helpful and very clear. The bird is a
male Sacred Kingfisher - note the buff orange chest (not found in Collared
KF), the small buff spot before the eye, and there's a bit more blue in the
wings than you’d expect in Collared Kingfisher.

We can also rule out Forest Kingfisher (which are far more navy blue, and
have a very prominent white spot before the eye) and Re-backed Kingfisher
(which have a streaked head).

Another very helpful tip - you're in Bathhurst, which is the perfect place
to see Sacred Kingfisher, especially at this time of year. All the other
potential kingfishers (in terms of their looks) do not occur (or are very
very rare) in that area.

Hope this helps. Also, it’s great to have a Sacred Kingfisher in your
backyard – I’ve never seen one in mine! :-)

Cheers,

Tim Dolby