birding-aus

Yellow Chat 12 Mile Creek Marmor QLD

To: "" <>
Subject: Yellow Chat 12 Mile Creek Marmor QLD
From: robert burgoyne <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 23:53:42 +1100
After a recent report decided to make a 5th attempt at locating a Yellow Chat
at 12 Mile Creek and / or Port Alma Salt-Works area as I drove out of QLD for
NT on Sunday 23 February.  This time success!
Arrived about lunchtime, windy and cloudy with sunny breaks, recent rain made
the area fairly muddy underfoot.  Went through the gate to the turnaround - mud
on my brand new 4 x 4 tyres!    Walked along the creek edge in a  north
easterly direction for about 300 metres from the parking area, putting my bins
up at any sign of movement. Saw a likely candidate from about 50 metres away
and behind me, flying in the open along the creek and in a basically northerly
direction and noted it as an obvious male Yellow Chat. Bird drew level where I
was standing about 20 metres away and made an immediate turn to the left away
from me landing in the grass on the other side of the creek.
That was it!   Spent a total 2 hours in the area but made no other Chat
sightings.
Rob Burgoyne